PushFix - how does it work behind the scenes?

Open discussion

PushFix - how does it work behind the scenes?

Postby iphoneuser » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:53 am

Hi, I have a need to purchase your product but before I do that I would like to ask you few questions.
I understand push fix 1.0 wasn't good because it was sending Push messages to strangers and all.
From what is seams it was fixed since.
I would like to know some technical details on what exactly Pushfix 2.0 does.

* Do you have your own servers that my iphone will have to continuously connect to in order to support Push notifications?
* Is your fix simply enabling push notification for the apps that support it on the phone so it would work the way it should
work originally?
* What does it fix exactly and how is Push notification going to exactly function after PushFix is implemented?
In particular I would be interested to know connection travel path.
* Are my Push messages going to redirected to any other location other than my phone or stored on your servers or go
through your servers in order to reach my phone?
* What is push fix fixing exactly?
* What is technical functionality difference in between application (with push notification built in) with Push Fix and without?

I simply want to understand what PushFix does behind the scenes.
Would the same explanation apply to Youtube fix?

Thanks
iphoneuser

Re: PushFix - how does it work behind the scenes?

Postby Big13 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:39 am

iphoneuser wrote:Hi, I have a need to purchase your product but before I do that I would like to ask you few questions.
I understand push fix 1.0 wasn't good because it was sending Push messages to strangers and all.
From what is seams it was fixed since.
I would like to know some technical details on what exactly Pushfix 2.0 does.

* Do you have your own servers that my iphone will have to continuously connect to in order to support Push notifications?
* Is your fix simply enabling push notification for the apps that support it on the phone so it would work the way it should
work originally?
* What does it fix exactly and how is Push notification going to exactly function after PushFix is implemented?
In particular I would be interested to know connection travel path.
* Are my Push messages going to redirected to any other location other than my phone or stored on your servers or go
through your servers in order to reach my phone?
* What is push fix fixing exactly?
* What is technical functionality difference in between application (with push notification built in) with Push Fix and without?

I simply want to understand what PushFix does behind the scenes.
Would the same explanation apply to Youtube fix?

Thanks

First off this forum and website had nothing to do with pushfix 1.0 its called pushfix 2.0 because 1.0 was a manual inject that required ssh'ing into your phone or using diskaid.
1.0 and 2.0 is the same except no more ssh'ing and 2.0 includes a push test app.

1. No, push however connects to apple servers to provide the push notification
2. Yes it does
3. It actually doesn't fix anything it merely add the push token. After pushfix is installed it then communicates with the push supported app and when you exit the app the push token communicates with apple servers which then communicate with the apps server.
4. No
5. First sentence as # 3
6. There is no difference. It is as if you were activated through iTunes instead of the dev team, geohot, or ih8sn0w hactivation process.

Hope this helps.
Pushfix Forum Mod # 0
Big13
Global Moderator

Postby iphoneuser » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 pm

It was very helpful thank you very much for responding it so quickly.
You know my Push notification is working with no problem for "Messages" app that Iphone 3Gs comes built in with.
1.)Do I still need to get PushFix 2.0 because my other apps that have Push notification don't work?
2.)Do you know if there is any way for me to purchase PushFix 2.0 without providing with any kind of iphone specific info
such as IMEI.

Thanks.
iphoneuser

Postby iphoneuser » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Also can you please tell me if this Push problem is an issue for all IPhones that were jailbroken with blackra1n?
If not, then what causes it?
iphoneuser

Postby iphoneuser » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 pm

I found below here --> http://pushfix.info/purchase
--------------------
If you have the "Connect to iTunes to use push notifications" message, restore your phone and do not purchase until you do.
--------------------

That is exact message that I am getting on some apps such as Facebook and TextFree.
I thought that is exact message that PushFix helps to get rid of and start using Push Notifications?
Do you by any chance have instructions on how to restore iphone to Factory settings without upgrading firmware
to 3.1.3?
iphoneuser

Postby iphoneuser » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Here is an update.
I was having "Connect to iTunes to use push notifications" for all Push apps and Youtube had a message "cannot connect...".
I went ahead and installed Youtube fix (#1) from Cydia pushfix.info.
Now I am able to use YouTube and also I am no longer seeing a message called "Connect to iTunes to use push notifications".
Instead it looks like push notifications should be working but I am not getting notified. The only Push notification that is working
is "Messaging" app that comes with IPhone originally.
Am I good candidate for PushFix now do I really need it? If so I would really be interested in buying this product without providing IMEI number.
I would like to know why is this number needed in the first place. I wish I could simply wire the money using Paypal and be done with it.
Thanks.
iphoneuser

Postby iphoneuser » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:30 am

Does anyone know what does it mean "Push does not work properly on regular data plans"?
Does it mean basic data plan that I have for my iphone 3Gs may not support it?

Here is a questions
if I am already using Push apps on another iphone that doesn't have PushFix installed
would the same data plan work on the iphone that has PushFix installed?
I thought Pushfix simply enables Push capabilities so it functions just like any other iphone that has same push apps and same data plan.
Can anyone confirm? I would like to be sure...

Thanks.

http://www.pushfix.info/purchase
Important notes for purchasers in certain countries
Carriers which REQUIRE the iPhone data plan on that carrier (or you can use WiFi only push):Push does not work properly on regular data plan.
iphoneuser

Postby Big13 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 am

the messages app as nothing to do with push notifications. if you are not with att in the usa then you need this fix. This pushfix should work with 3.1.3 but I myself have not tried it. the youtube fix just fixes youtube nothing else you need to purchase the pushfix and yes you need your imei there is no way around that.
Pushfix Forum Mod # 0
Big13
Global Moderator

Postby pushfix » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:27 pm

#1 If the Youtube fix made your "Connect to iTunes" message go away, then you should not need to restore your phone. The Connect to iTunes message is caused by many things and I don't want users purchasing who think I can fix ALL of them. In your case, it was caused by you having no YouTube or Push key. Your push is still not going to work properly unless you purchase Pushfix 2.0.

#2 People who have unlocked iphones need this. No offense, but you are asking a lot of questions that could be answered by reading the forum or the purchase page.

#3 In order to purchase, I need your IMEI. There's no way around that. You can already read a topic on here that shows the safety of it - it is encrypted on that form and send to Paypal over HTTPS. Your IMEI is not useful to anyone and it is written on the back of all original iPhones, it is no secret. It is not used for anything other than identifying your device. It cannot be used to charge you for phone calls or anything else.

#4 All I say on the purchase page is that you cannot have a WAP only data plan. Those provide web-only access and cannot be used for network traffic other than web traffic. Push notifications does not use the web protocol and operates over port 5223.

Carriers which REQUIRE the iPhone data plan on that carrier (or you can use WiFi only push):Push does not work properly on regular data plan.

That message is meant for users who are on the listed carriers that require the iPhone data plan, that's why the message is right next to it. Users on other carriers can generally use a regular data plan as long as it isn't WAP only.
pushfix
Site Admin

Postby iphoneuser » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 am

Thank you so much for insightful explanation and answers to my questions.
I do understand what you meant about basic WAP data plan access.

Below is the last questions just to make sure I understand data plan explanation correctly.

If I am already using Push apps on another iphone that doesn't have PushFix installed
would the same data plan be sufficient on the iphone that has PushFix installed?

From what I understand "Pushfix" simply enables Push capabilities so it functions just like any other iphone that has same push apps and same data plan.
Can anyone confirm? I would like to be sure...

Thank you again for all your help and hard work developing this fix.
iphoneuser

Next

Return to General Discussion