Mails cannot be pushed

Support help for users of pushfix.info

Mails cannot be pushed

Postby spicyfooty » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:19 am

Hi,
I must say this fix is the best 6$ I have ever spent on.
eBuddy works, means the fix works.

However, I cant seem to get the mail to work.
I have set to fetch every 30 mins, and notification was ON.

Dint get any notifications whole day, but when i checked manually, there were plenty of unread mails.

Please shed some lights. Thanks.
spicyfooty

Re: Mails cannot be pushed

Postby pushfix » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:46 am

I should point this out specifically I suppose, but it is mentioned other places.

Push mail has nothing to do with push notifications. Mail.app does not use push notifications, although there are many apps that are able to notify you on new mail, such as Boxcar, GmailPush, etc. Upon notification, then you can open your mail and get the latest messages.

To use push mail, you can
  • Use Google's Exchange email service as described here (gmail.com accounts only) : http://bit.ly/4rEQSu
  • Use the Mobile.me service which has a subscription fee.
You may only use one Exchange email account on the iPhone and it reduces battery life quite a bit. That's why notifications and manual fetching are better. Push mail is only needed if you really want to have all your new mail on your phone right when it is received.
pushfix
Site Admin

Postby spicyfooty » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:41 pm

thanks for the explanation! gotta say great after-sales service! 8-) 8-)
spicyfooty

Postby mbzk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:53 pm

if you use gmail, there are a lot of apps that send push notifications when you get an email. i use PushGmail myself. you provide your login credentials in the app and their server connects to gmail via imap and sends a push notification when you get new mail.

some apps, like Boxcar, let you set up a @boxcar address where you forward all your emails to. then when your @boxcar inbox receives an email, a push notifcation gets sent.
mbzk

Postby pushfix » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I really wish google would come out with their own notification app and then you wouldn't have to give anyone your credentials. I mean they have the google app and google earth, they are obviously pretty talented. They could write a notification app in 1 day. I just don't like giving my credentials out and you should be careful mbzk and others.

I can connect to the MySQL database that (I assume) has all the credentials in it for every user of PushGmail. Of course, I don't have the login name and password, but this is extremely unsafe. All I did to get the IP was check the "recent activity" on Google. Get that IP and then find the port MySQL uses (I'm not gonna tell here) and telnet to that port.

If there is an exploit for the MySQL version that he is using, tens of thousands of people are all screwed. Don't just trust that these developers know proper security. This server should not have MySQL's port open to the world. As soon as I found that out, I changed my GMail password and switched back to Gmail Exchange which is SSL encrypted.

Don't trust me either, but as I've made clear on Facebook and elsewhere, I'm nuts about encryption so all the certs are encrypted, UDID is stored only as a one-way hash, etc. I don't believe in security through obscurity. If I can't tell you exactly how I design it and have it still be secure, then it is insecure.
pushfix
Site Admin

Postby mbzk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:32 am

pushfix, i have the same security concerns giving my login credentials to a third party. but at the moment, i guess i'd rather have push notif working with my gmail than not have it. i don't think having just an ip and open port number makes it any less secure than running any other type of server on the web. as long as the dev has implemented other layers of security, e.g. only allowing access to the db by specific ip's and keeping up with any exploit patches, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. i too wonder why google themselves don't write a notification app. guess they're too busy tinkering with android.
mbzk

Postby pushfix » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:39 am

Yeah. I'm not saying it's insecure, it just got me thinking. What initially triggered my paranoia was that messages in my inbox were being mysteriously marked read, right while I was at the gmail screen. The message would come in and about 10 seconds later be read. I kinda freaked out some, but I talked with Big13, the moderator on here, and his were doing the same thing so then I realized I wasn't hacked. That turned out to be a bug in PushGmail and the next day it was corrected on the server side. But if it's got that kind of access, it could just as easily wipe out your emails with a bug.

So, ultimately that made me go with the forwarding method of Boxcar so that a bug could not wreak havoc on my email.
pushfix
Site Admin

Postby Big13 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:02 am

yup I remembered that... ping and pushgmail were both screwed up that day.
Pushfix Forum Mod # 0
Big13
Global Moderator

Postby mbzk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:46 pm

ironically, i haven't been getting notifications from pushgmail for a couple hours now. now i'm tempted to switch to boxcar or letmeknow.
mbzk

Postby Big13 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:23 am

i havent received notifications from it either in 3 days.
Pushfix Forum Mod # 0
Big13
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Support (customers)